Estate Argyros was established in 1903 by Georgios Argyros, in a 5 acres vineyard located in Episkopi Gonia Thiras (Santorini). Georgios Argyros made his wines according to the traditional Santorinian way, in order to take advantage of the grapes produced by his own vineyard. The wines produced were sold mainly in the local market.
In 1950, Estate Argyros passed to Matthew Argyros, who not only continued his father’s business, but expanded the family vineyard to 15 acres.
The person who changed significantly the image of the winery was the founder’s grandson Yiannis Argyros who runs the winery since 1974. Yiannis Argyros not only has increased the family vineyard to 65 acres but he worked hard to combine the family tradition with modern technology and to ensure the high quality of grapes.
Matthew Argyros represents the 4th generation of winemaking in Estate Argyros and he has been already acknowledged as a capable continuator of the old tradition and the successful progress. Faithful to the principals of his ancestors, he remains also a visionist and he works hard for the future of Estate Argyros and the wine of Santorini.
The vineyard is located in Episkopi Gonia Thiras, with altitude of 35-150m, oriented to the east and south-east. The soil is volcanic and the vines are formed in the traditional crown. Estate Argyros owns one of the oldest vineyards on the island, as parts of it are more than 150 years old.
The performance of the vineyard is about 350-500kg of grapes per 1000 m2 and the harvest lasts from 10 to 25 of August.
The cultivation and the winemaking in Estate Argyros are based only on indigenous varieties from Santorini, such as Assyrtiko, Athiri, Aidani, Mandilaria, Mavrathiro, Mavrotragano and Voudomato. Besides, there is a big effort to revive the ancient and rare varieties of the island.